Cow was created in the summer of 1928 when Calder spent time with his friend Jane Davenport at her house in Peekskill, New York, and was focused on transforming blocks of exotic wood into carved animals.
George D. Pratt, Jr, Bridgewater, Connecticut, acquired in 1930 directly from Calder, his neighbor in Roxbury, Connecticut from 1933
Jane Abbott Pratt, his widow, 1975, Bridgewater and Amherst, Massachusetts
Helen Pratt Ladd, her daughter, by inheritance, 1990, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Her daughter, by inheritance, 2012, Northampton, Massachusetts
George Pratt owned Schaghticoke Farm in Bridgewater, a dairy farm dedicated to exploring new ways of milking and taking care of cows, now operated as the Sunny Valley Reserve under the auspices of the Nature Conservancy. Calder’s Cow was the logo for the Farm.
Exhibitions and Publications
New York, Museum of Modern Art, Painting and Sculpture by Living Americans, Ninth Loan Exhibition, 1930, on loan from George D. Pratt, Jr., reproduced in the catalogue
New York, Museum of Modern Art, Calder Exhibition, 1943
Jean Lipman, Calder’s Universe, New York, Whitney Museum of American Art, 1976, reproduced p.224, published in conjunction with an exhibition that originated at the Whitney Museum and traveled to the High Museum, Atlanta; the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis; the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts, 1976-7
Washington, National Gallery of Art, and San Francisco Museum of Modern Art,
Alexander Calder, 1998, color plate No. 15 in the catalogue
Hartford, Connecticut, Wadsworth Atheneum, Calder in Connecticut, 2000, loan requested
12 ½ x 16-1/3 x 7 ¾ inches
Signed (on bottom of base): Calder